DID YOU KNOW
- The estimated number of homeless in Oahu is 4,903 (4% increase from 2014)
- The number of unsheltered homeless has increased 19% since 2014
- 2,340 people (48%) are families with children
- 1,319 (26% of Oahu’s homeless) are children under 18
- The face of homelessness includes many hard working and driven individuals
WHO IS FAMILY PROMISE OF HAWAII
Family Promise employs a community network to provide shelter, training, and resources to help homeless families with children transition to a life of independence.
- Family Promise is a national nonprofit organization with 192 affiliates in 41 states. Family Promise of Hawaii opened in 2006 and is the fastest growing affiliate to date. Family Promise has locations in Honolulu and Kailua with congregations from Hawaii Kai to Kahaluu.
- With a full time staff of 3 and the help of over 60 congregations and 1,500 volunteers, Family Promise of Hawaii shelters up to 28 people and 8 families at a time throughout the year. By collaborating with community resources Family Promise is a very efficient organization with little overhead.
- Family Promise provides all the essentials to a family while in the program, including a place to sleep, food, laundry, child care, computers and mail, shower, and toiletries.
- Families are provided with case management, financial literacy, health referrals, early education for their children, and assistance in finding permanent housing.
- Over 80% of their guests transition out of homelessness to housing within 3-4 months.
- Participants of Family Promise’s program are highly motivated to make positive changes in their lives. Family Promise participants must have and maintain a job.
HOW YOU CAN HELP FAMILY PROMISE OF HAWAII
Family Promise is heavily reliant on volunteers, grants, and donations. Their most requested items are diapers and air mattresses. Toiletries, food, monetary donations, and your time are all ways you can support the positive difference Family Promise is making in our community.
To become involved, contact:
Honolulu Day Center: (808) 548-7478
Windward Day Center: (808) 261-7478