1/22-25 – SERVE: Book Packing at AUW, mornings and afternoons
Volunteer project that involves pulling receipts and sorting through over 9,700 books in support of literacy efforts. We are hosting a volunteer project coming up in a few weeks in partnership with the Society of Young Leaders and Hawaii Cares. The volunteer opportunity includes the organization of new books donated by Barnes and Noble during their holiday book drive. This year, Barnes and Noble and its generous customers donated over 9,700 books, all of which need to be prepared to support our nonprofit partners and their literacy efforts. See link for more details.
- Shift Times: 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Duties: Pull receipts from each book and sort by grade levels. Volunteers don’t have to commit for the entire two hours.
- Location: Aloha United Way, 200 N. Vineyard Boulevard, Suite 700, Honolulu, HI 96817
1/31 – MEMBERSHIP: GMM at Impact Hub, 6pm-8pm
Join us for our first General Membership meeting of the year! Learn about our goals for 2019 and network with civic-minded individuals.This is a great opportunity for members and potential members to learn about our upcoming goals for 2019, network with civic-minded individuals from various industries, and discuss how SYL can make a bigger impact in our community.
- 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.: Registration and networking
- 7:00 – 7:30 p.m.: SYL presentation and discussion
- 7:30 – 8:00 p.m.: Wrap it up
- Location: ImpactHUB 1050 Queen St suite 100, Honolulu, HI 96814
See link for more details.
2/7 – New Member Orientation with Jordan
2/9 – SERVE: Habitat for Humanity
Help a local family build their home with the Honolulu Habitat for Humanity. No construction experience is needed to volunteer, our only requirements is closed toed shoes must be worn for safety and all volunteers must be at least 18 years or older. Signups are limited to the first 25 volunteers. Lunch will be provided. Password: syl
- What: You will be led by a skilled construction team. Volunteers help with nearly every phase of construction, minus electrical and plumbing. It starts with the foundation prep work, to pouring the foundation, framing, roofing, all the way through the final touch paint work needed before a home is dedicated. The actual work to be completed may vary and will depend on the build status upon our arrival.
- Where: The build site is located in the new Kaka’ina Subdivision, next to the Waimanalo Seven Day Adventist Church.
- Who is Habitat? Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit housing organization working locally and in nearly 1,400 communities across the United States and in approximately 70 countries around the world. Habitat’s vision is of a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. With your support, Habitat homeowners achieve the strength, stability and independence they need to build a better life for themselves and for their families.